India Office Records
The following series of material in the India Office Records are held on microform at the Centre. The numbers in brackets are the catalogue numbers of the material in the India Office Library.
Click here to request items (opens in a new tab).
- British intelligence on Afghanistan and its frontiers, c. 1888-1946: secret and confidential print from the British Government of India Edited by Anthony Farrington. 410 microfiche [Published by I.D.C., Leiden, 2003] Click here for more details “The secret and confidential print reproduced in the present collection are located in two internal ‘reference libraries’ which were kept within the Military Department (L/MIL/17) and the Political & Secret Department (L/P&S/20) at the pre- 1947 India Office in
London”, Guide, leaf 3.
- BIA-1. Afghanistan: gazetteers and handbooks, 1888-1935
- BIA-2. Afghanistan: internal and external affairs, 1907-1941
- BIA-3. Afghanistan: who’s who, 1914-1940
- BIA-4. Afghanistan: military reports,1906-1940
- BIA-5. Afghanistan: route books, 1907-1941
- BIA-6. Afghanistan: frontiers–General, and Northern Section, 1910-1946 (NWF Province, Chitral, Dir, Swat, Bajaur,Gilgit, Hazara, Mohmand, Buner)
- BIA-7. Afghanistan: frontiers–CentralSection, 1908-1941 (Khyber, Peshawar, Kabul-Kurram, Kohat)
- BIA-8. Afghanistan: frontiers–Waziristan, 1907-1940 (North & South Waziristan, Bannu, Dera Ismail Khan,Derajat)
- BIA-9. Afghanistan: frontiers–Baluchistan, 1910-1946.
- Delineating British Burma: British official and confidential print, 1826-1949 edited by A.J. Farrington. 41 reels [Published by IDC, Leiden, 2005.] Click here for a full listing.
- Governors’ fortnightly correspondence with the Viceroy 1929-1947.
- Local Government Reports, 1929-31(L/P&J/12/685-751) – 11 microfilm reels
- Governors’ Reports, Oct. 1936 – March 1937 (R/3/1/1) – 1 microfilm reel
- Governors’ Reports, April – December 1937 (L/P&J/5) – 11 microfilm reels
- Governors’ Reports, 1938 – October 1943 (From the Print in the Linlithgow Papers: MSS.EUR.F.125) – 77 microfilm reels
- Governors’ Reports, 1943-1947 (L/P&J/5) – 51 microfilm reels
- Indian National Congress – reports and proceedings, no 1-9, 1885-1892 172 microfiche. [A printed handlist is available at the Centre.]
- Indian political intelligence files, 1912-1950 624 microfiche. [Published by I.D.C., Zug, 2000.] [A printed handlist is available at the Centre.] Click here for a full listing.
- Vernacular newspaper reports 1874-1942 (previously known as Native newspaper reports).
- Bengal, December 1863-4, 1867-, 1870-,1873-1899, 1917-1931 (L/R/5) – 42 microfilm reels
- Bihar, October 1920 (L/R/5) – 1 microfilm reel
- Bombay, Week ending 18th April 1868 – end of year 1875, October 1876-1896, 1898, 1901-1932 (L/R/5) – 68 microfilmreels
- Burma, 1938 – 1942 (L/R/5) – 1 microfilm reel
- Eastern Bengal and Assam, 1907-1911 – 4 microfilm reels
- Madras, 1876 – December 1936 (NB January 1927 – November 1928 inclusive not held) (L/R/5) – 42 microfilm reels
- North-West Provinces (United Provinces), 1868-1892, 1894, 1896-1900, 1902-1912, 1914-1937 1918 – 1937 (L/R/5) -53 microfilm reels
- Punjab, 1896 – 1924 (L/R/5) – 28 microfilm reels
- Sind, 1936 – 1939 (L/R/5) – 1 microfilm reel
- Selected files from the Bengal Governor’s Secretariat 1932-1943.
4 microfilm reels containing:
- Monthly reports Nov-Feb; report on formation of Bengal Ministry Dec 1936-Apr 1937 (R/3/2/2 File XI-2-36 Conf) [IOR 1519]
- Opinions on the War Resolution put before Bengal Legislative Council; resignation of Finance MinisterNalini R Sarker.
Dec 1939-Jan 1940 (R/3/2/10 File 19 – Coll IV Conf) [IOR NEG 11943]
- Brief summaries of Bengal Legislative Council proceedings 12-13 December; resolutions admitted by the President; memorandum of discussion on resignation of Sarkar Nov-Dec 1939 (R/3/2/11 File 19 – Coll IV Conf) [IOR NEG 11943]
- Subas Chandra Bose’s complaint about the War Ordinances of Bengal and India; Viceroy’s stand Oct 1939-Jan 1940 (R/3/2/15 File 21 – Coll XXII Conf) [IOR NEG 6967]
- Release of Subas Chandra Bose after hunger strike and suspension of detention order Dec 1940 (R/3/2/16 File 26 – Coll I Conf) [IOR 1519]
- Intelligence Bureau correspondence on Subhas Chandra Bose; Addional Secretary’s note on sequence of events leading up to arrest and suspension of detention order Jul-Dec 1940 (R/3/2/17 File 26 – Coll 1 Conf) [IOR 1519]
- Intelligence Bureau notes on activities and health of Subhas Chandra Bose since his release; question of his re-arrest Jan 1941 (R/3/2/18 File 26 – Coll I Conf) [IOR 1519]
- Chatterjee’s appeal for the release of Bose Jan 1941 (R/3/2/19 File 26- Coll I Corif) [IOR NEG 6967]
- Disappearance of Bose Jan-Nov 1941 (R/3/2/20 File 34 – Coll I Conf) [IOR NEG 6967]
- Reports of Central Intelligence Officer and Deputy Commissioner of Police on Bose’s activites abroad Jan-Feb 1941 (R/3/2/21 File 34 – Coll I Conf) [IOR 1519]
- Resignation of Chief Minister from National Defence Council and his visit to Simla Sep-Oct 1941 R/3/2/26 File 15 – Coll I Conf [IOR 1519]
- Political situation in Bengal; arrest of Sarat Chandra Bose; correspondence between Governor and Viceroy on suitable leader to form a ministry Aug 1941- Apr 1942 (R/3/2/30 File 37 – Coll II Conf) [I0R 1519]
- Syama Prasad Mookerjee’s resignation as Finance Minister; correspondence between Governor and Viceroy Nov 1942-Mar 1943 (R/3/2/41 File 31 – Coll II) [I0R 1519]
- Governor’s memorandum of June 1932 on situation in Bengal Jun-Jul 1932 (R/3/2/67 File II-6/36(7) Secret) [IOR NEG 14077]
- Telegrams between Secretary of State and Governor on announcement of statement on Bengal’s jute tax claim; Viceroy’s telegram to Secretary of State on Federal Finance Committee’s report; Government of India despatch andmemorandum on Federal Finance
Feb-Jan 1933 (R/3/2/68) [I0R NEG 14077]
- India Office memorandum Allocation of the jute duty with reference to the claims of Bengal; Comments by the Governor of Bengal upon the India Office memorandum on the allocation of the jute duty; Memorandum by the Governmentof Bengal on Federal Finance in its relation to Bengal Sep 1933-Jul 1934 (R/3/2/69 File 11-6/36) [I0R NEG 14077]
- Correspondence between Governor and Sir James Grigg (Member of Viceroy’s Executive Council) May-Jun 1934 (R/3/2/70) [10R NEG 14077]
- Selected files from the Public and Judicial Department, India Office on Political Developments 1939-1941. (L/P&J/8/505-508) – 5 microfilm reels
- Selected Files from the series on the affairs of the Indian Provincial Ministries, Public and Judicial Department, India Office 1938-1947.
- Reports from Governors on work of CongressMinistries in Provinces. 1941 – 1942 (L/P&J/8/588)
- Situation reports from Provinces. 1942 (L/P&J/8/605)
- Baluchistan. 1947 (L/P&J/8/641)
- Bombay: general affairs. 1947 (L/P&J/8/642)
- Madras: general affairs. 1947 – 1948 (L/P&J/8/643)
- Assam: resignation of Congress Coalition Ministry. 1939 – 1946 (L/P&J/8/646)
- Sind: Ministry and political affairs. 1940 – 1946 (L/P&J/8/647)
- Sind: Ministry and political affairs including deadlock in Sind Legislature. 1946 – 1947 (L/P&J/8/648)
- Release of political prisoners. 1938 – 1939 (L/P&J/8/649)
- United Provinces: Ministry and political affairs. 1946 – 1947 (L/P&J/8/650)
- Bengal: Ministry and political affairs including formation of new Ministry by Fazlul Huq. 1941 – 1943 (L/P&J/8/651)
- Bengal: Ministry and political affairs. 1943 – 1945 (L/P&J/8/652)
- Bengal: Ministry and political affairs including defeat of Nazimuddin Ministry. 1945 (L/P&J/8/653)
- Bengal: Ministry and political affairs including Calcutta riots. 1946 – 1947 (L/P&J/8/655)
- Orissa: Ministry and political affairs. 1941 – 1946 (L/P&J/8/658)
- North-West Frontier Province: Ministry and political affairs. 1942 – 1945 (L/P&J/8/659)
- North-West Frontier Province: Ministry and general affairs. 1947 (L/P&J/8/660)
- Punjab: Ministry and political affairs; death of Sikander. 1942 – 1945 (L/P&J/8/662)
- Punjab: Public Safety Ordinance and Muslim League. 1946 -1947 (L/P&J/8/663)
- Selected files from the War Staff Organisation, India Office 1945-1947.
- Indian National Army 1942-1943 (L/WS/1/1576)
- Indian National Army and Free Burma Army 1945-1946 (L/WS/1/1577)
- Indian National Army and Free Burma Army 1947 (L/WS/1/1578)
- Selections from the records of the Government of India, 1849-1937, 143 microfiche; [Published by I.D.C., Zug, 1987.] [A printed handlist is available at the Centre, classmark 093.2]
- Viceroy’s fortnightly private and personal correspondence with the Secretary of State for India 1905-1941.
- 1905-10 – From the Morley Collection(MSS.EUR.D.573) 5 microfilm reels
- 1921-26 – From the Reading Collection (MSS.EUR.E.238) 6 microfilm reels
- 1926-31 – From the Irwin Collection (MSS.EUR.C.152) 5 microfilm reels
- 1931-35 – From the Hoare Collection (MSS.EUR.E. 240) 5 microfilm reels (This film includes some of SirSamuel Hoare’s correspondence with Sir John Anderson and Sir GeorgeStanley, 1931-1935)
- 1935-40 – From the Zetland Collection (MSS.EUR.D.609) 2 microfilm reels (Includes some of Lord Zetland’spersonal correspondence while governot of Bengal, 1917-1922)
- 1937-41 – From the Linlithgow Collection (MSS.EUR.F.125) 5 microfilm reels (Note: From the beginning of 1942 this correspondence is reprinted almost in its entirety in the volumes of the Transfer of Power to India series.)
United States Government
The following United States government files (which are published by University Publications of America) are held on microform at the Centre:
- Central Intelligence Agency research reports Vietnam, 1946-1976.
- Vietnam and Southeast Asia, 1946-76. 7 microfilm reels
- Vietnam and Southeast Asia: Supplement. 6 microfilm reels
State Department confidential central files India, 1945-1949.
- India, internal affairs 1945-1949. Part 1: Political, governmentaland national defence affairs. Decimal nos. 845.0-845.3 (From Record Group 59, General Records). 23 microfilm reels.
- India, internal affairs 1945-1949. Part 2: Social, economic,industrial communication and science. Decimal nos. 845.4-845.9 (From Record Group 59, General Records). 20 microfilm reels.
- India, foreign affairs 1945-1949. Decimal nos. 745 and 711.45.(From Record Group 59, General Records). 2 microfilm reels.
- India, internal affairs 1950-1954. Decimal nos. 791, 891 and 991.(From Record Group 59, General Records). 100 microfilm reels.
- India, foreign affairs 1950-1954. Decimal nos. 691 and 611.91.(From Record Group 59, General Records). 4 microfilm reels.
- Indochina, internal affairs 1945-1949. Includes decimal nos. 8516.00851 6.9243. (From Record Group 59, General Records). 10 microfilm reels.