Papers of Thomas Bradwall Barlow
45/1: Palm oil correspondence and papers, 1968-69. Comprising:
- correspondence and papers relating to the contract to supply palm oil to Basra (Iraq), including minutes of the Malayan Palm Oil Pool selling committee meetings (9 DEC 1968, 17 MAR 1969);
- letter from Stolt Nielsen Shipping, tanker brokers, to Thomas Barlow & Bro., London, with offer to ship palm oil from Port Swettenham to European and North American ports (9 JUL 1968).
45/2: Palm oil correspondence and papers, 1970-72 Comprising:
- correspondence and papers relating to the Malayan Palm Oil Pool and its successor the (West) Malaysian Palm Oil Producers’ Association;
- including reports and papers provided by Guthrie Estates Ltd, secretaries to the Pool, on the ‘Development of Palm Oil Pool arrangements in relation to the UK Trade Restrictive Practices Act 1968’ (3 MAR 1970), the Malaysian trade mission to Iran (2-6 OCT 1969), letters and papers concerning the Malaysian trade mission to the E. E. C. and UK (SEP – OCT 1969);
- papers relating to the International Association of Seed Crushers 1971 Congress;
- correspondence with W. Olaf Grut, United Plantations Ltd/Bhd, concerning break down in the palm oil pool selling arrangements – undercutting in the North American market (APR 1971);
- Basra palm oil contract (JAN 1972);
- articles on the Far Eastern Freight Conference – a restrictive cartel? – under cover of letter from Thomas B. Barlow (2 MAY 1972);
- handwritten notes concerning the working of the Palm Oil Pool following threat by United Plantations to leave (15 DEC 1972).
45/3: Palm oil correspondence and papers, 1973 Comprising:
- papers relating to the (West) Malaysian Palm Oil Producers’ Association (MPOPA), including minutes of the selling committee meeting held in Kuala Lumpur (9 JAN);
- typed memorandum – ‘The Problem(s)’, on the question of having a free market in palm oil or the present price fixing and equalisation scheme;
- handwritten note on MPOPA business and question of modification of the pooling scheme to accommodate criticisms;
- MPOPA provisional equalisation statements/ port installation stocks/ forward sales positions (JAN – FEB 1973);
- final equalisation statement for 1972 (7 SEP 1973);
- correspondence with David Train, Cremer & Trainer, Consulting Chemical Engineers, London, on the treatment of sludge from palm oil factories, including report (FEB – SEP 1973).