Papers of Sir Frederick Hale Puckle. Joined I.C. S. in 1912 and served in various positions in the Punjab; Secretary, Home Department, Government of India October 1938; Director-General of Information December 1939; retired from I. C. S. April 1946.
Papers stored in 3 boxes.
Loaned by Mrs J.H. Puckle.
- Diary 1944. ff 1-50.
- Diary 1945. ff 51-132.
- Diary 1946 (includes Cabinet Mission discussions) ff 133-263.
- Diary 1947 (England January 1947 – covers consultation with senior members of India Office etc.) ff 264-310.
- Newspaper cuttings – Philippines (includes 2 United States Press Releases of July and November 1942). ff 311-344.
- Report of Puckle and Mr A.H. Joyce on their visit to the United States in early 1943 in connection with publicity about India. ff 345-377.
- Notes on Puckle’s New York visit March 1944, includes programme of Independence Day Dinner at New York 26 January 1945. ff 378-391.
- Puckle’s U.S. tour April and May 1944. Includes tour notes and report. ff 392-436.
- Miscellaneous papers 1944-47 some dealing with Puckle’s U. S. tour of April and May 1944. ff 437-502.
- Puckle’s American tours 1944. ff 503-541.
- Correspondence, dating from late 1944, between Puckle and British Consultate-General in New York. Note written by Puckle in April 1945 in response to questions on India raised at a lunch in Washington. ff 542-585.
- Radio broadcasts, speeches and press correspondence of Puckle 1944 while in U. S. ff 586-643.
- Miscellaneous newspaper cuttings c. 1944-47. ff 644-726.
- Miscellaneous newspaper cuttings 1944-48. ff 727-822.
- Correspondence with Sir P. Patrick (India Office) 1944-47. ff 824-935.
- Correspondence with Mr A.H. Joyce (India Office) 1944-48. ff 936-1051.
- 12 memoranda (c. 1944-45) on economic and international questions in the Viceroy’s Study Group series. ff 1052-1167.
- Puckle’s Canadian tour, September – October 1945. Main file, notes. ff 1168-1199.
- Minor papers relating to Puckle’s Canadian visit, autumn 1945 together with press cuttings. ff 1200-1218.
- Colonial Policy. Briefs for officials and some miscellaneous items 1945-46. ff 1219-1269.
- Puckle’s annual reports to Sir P. Patrick (India Office) dated 26 April 1945, 31 May 1946 and 5 September 1947. Typescript copy of Despatch dated 5 November 1946 from Lord Inverchapel (British Embassy, Washington) to Mr E. Bevin (Foreign Secretary) on U.S. reactions to developments in India. ff 1270-1309.
- Personal File (Income tax) 1945-47). ff 1310-1320.
- Note by Mr B.R. Curson, dated 27 December 1946, on the Indian Delegation to the First Session of U.N. Assembly held in New York, October – December 1946. Includes minute by Puckle dated 13 January 1947. Miscellaneous item. ff 1322-1330.