Small Collections Box 19
Given by Mr. A.J. Platt
Ceylon, Laccadive Islands and Minicoy, Madras, Mysore, Travancore 1929-1944
- My Journal (Ceylon). Begun on 12 July 1929. Personal narrative as a young man of twenty describing the voyage from Bristol on the Lancashire to Ceylon where he took up a teaching post at Richmond College, Galle. Journal covers own personal experiences; novelty of his new life and various visits to Peradeniya Tea Estate, Damballa, Sirdiriya, Anuradhapura and Puttalam. Ends 4 April 1931. 92pp
- The Laccadive Islands and Minicoy 1934. Lecture given by Mr. Platt, taken from a visit he made in 1931. Describes the life of the islanders, laws, religion, dress and produce. 12pp.
- Journal. (Nilgiri and Malabar District 1934). A brief journal on five months as Sub-Collector in the Coonoor Division.
- Comments on three interesting jobs:
- Writing a report on the land revenue settlement of the Division.
- Judge in a case of maslaughter, and
- Tribal dispute. The last part of the journal describes briefly the customs and traditions of the Nambudris. 5pp. 2 copies.
- The Laccadives and Minicoy, 1935. Detailed description of a journey to Mysore and the Dasara festival. TS. 4pp. Description of islands and their people; religions; caste system; justice; divorce and produce of the islands. Minicoy: customs and people; the building of boats. TS. 6 pp.
- The Dasara, Mysore, October 1935. Detailed description of a journey to Mysore and the Dasara festival TS. 4pp.
- A visit to a Game Sanctuary 1944. A visit to the Pariyar Lake Game Sanctuary in Travancore in the party of the Governor of Madras, Sir Arthur Hope, – invited by the Maharajah of Travancore. 4pp.
- A TS booklet entitled ‘Indian Civil Service Memoir written in 1977’. It is a memoir of the author’s two years as a teacher in Ceylon and fifteen years as an I.C.S. officer in Madras. 80pp.