Given by Mrs. P.T. Pengree
Small Collections Box 18
Miscellaneous financial and domestic documents:
- 4 TS sheets (from Dutea, Assam, Tea Seed Syndicate, Dibrugarh).
- Abstract of Bill Book for seed sold 1928. Statement of local expenditure. 2pp.
- Statement of expenditure in Calcutta, season 1928.
- Advertising booklet N.E. India’s Tea Seed: Dutea (Assam) Tea Seed Syndicate, Dibrugarh P.O., Upper Assam.
- Programme of Madden Gymkhana May Meet, (Dibrugarh) 8 and 9 May, 1925.
- Sheet of paper and envelopes of Dutea Tea Seed Syndicate.
Microfilm No. 53 (in two parts)
Diary written as the wife of a tea-planter, E.P.C. Pengree, of Mothula Tea Estate, Dibrugarh, Assam, 1924-28.
- Description of a number of expeditions made by boat in Assam.
- Starts on honeymoon on a launch in the Brahmaputra. Description of camp life and the people they meet (Miris) all in great detail. Visits a Mill, by trolley. Rides on elephant for the first time.
- Continues with detailed descriptions of other river and jungle excursions to various Miri villages.
- Gauhati and Shillong. Notes on the Khasis. The Kema Puja – description of dancing, etc.
- Examples of her husband’s adjudication among the Miris (unusual for a tea-planter).
- To Tinsukia to see tea-seed packing sheds.
- 1925. Christmas at Pota Muhk for fishing.
- February-March, 1926. Leave in England. Before leaving gives account of trying to get bail for an Indian boy implicated in a murder case.
- 1926. November: Pota Mukh again.
- December: Trip to Bordutri Ghaut and Harmutry tea garden from Dibrugarh. Description of bungalow. Detailed description of fishing expedition, and shooting. Long detailed description of a big game hunt 7 February-29 February, 1927.