(W. Meiklejohn, C.I.E., I.F.S. and Mrs. F. Meiklejohn)
Given by Mrs. Meiklejohn Assam: 1940-1964
- Letter to Mr. and Mrs. Meiklejohn from Keith Cantlie, former Commissioner Assam. Written from London. Dated 18.12.1964. Concerns mutual friends formerly in Assam or still there. 9pp.
- Grant of Probate of Will of George Frederick Smith, late of Shillong. Dated 30.8.1940. Mrs. Meiklejohn’s father. 3pp.
- ‘Forest Interlude’. Account of a tour of a forestry officer and wife. Written by Mrs. Meiklejohn. 4pp.
- Account of Post-Independence situation in Assam. 5pp. Writer unnamed.
- Booklet: ‘The Management of Elephant Catching Operations in Assam’. Govt. publication. 7pp.
- Booklet: ‘Assam’ Oxford Pamphlets on Indian Affairs. 32pp.
- Booklet: ‘Khasi Monuments near Shillong’ by J.P. Mills, C.I.E., I.C.S. Honorary Director of Ethnography to Govt. of Assam. 7pp.
- Two New Year cards of handmade paper by Tribals of Balipara Frontier Tract (North-East Frontier Agency)
- Newspaper cuttings from New Zealand about Indian affairs. May 1948.
- Hand-woven handkerchief from Karimganj Cooperative Yarn and Cloth Sale Society.
- Plan of seating at dinner, Government House, Darjeeling, dated 12.6.1941.
- Invitation for ‘At Home’ from the Governor (of Assam) and Lady Hydari to meet Lord and Lady Mountbatten. 15 March 1948.
- Undated newspaper cutting Chinese promise to end support of Naga rebels.
- Letter and Photograph from ayah. 5 April 1964.
- Letters, including one from Lt. General. J.W. Slim of 20 February 1944, concerning Mrs. Meiklejohn’s work with Red Cross. Also 14th Army badge. Two red cross badges; Kaisar-i-Hind (Bronze) citation. Letters dated 15 December 1944 and 20 July 1945.
- Six short sketches by Mrs Meiklejohn: ‘Tiger Shoot’, ‘Elephants’, ‘The Khasis’, ‘Akbar the Baby Elephant’, ‘Forest Interlude’, (written post 1945) ‘Just a Memory’.
- Xerox copy of article from Polo Magazine: Vol. II No. 1: ‘Oldest Polo Club’ 5pp.
- Mementos and newspaper cuttings of Independence Day.
- S.E.A.C. Souvenir. Services Newspaper of South East Asia Command. No date. 8pp.
- The Statesman Supplement of 15 August 1947. 11pp.
- Envelope containing three photographs:
- Mrs. Florence Meiklejohn on tour 1937-8 Assam.
- Khasi ayah to Mrs. Meiklejohn.
- Mrs. F. Meiklejohn in rickshaw drawn by 3 Bhutias in Forestry uniform, 1939 Darjeeling.
- Two numbers of magazine: The Oriental Traveller’s Gazette October – December 1939; April – June 1941. Published by Thomas Cook and Son Ltd., Bombay.