Small Collections Box 15
Given by Mr Basil Labouchardière. Indian Police 1936-47.
- Roll of Indian Police officers, 1861-1947 – An Indian Police Obituary. 9 ff. ISBN No. 0 9510582 0 7. Xerox copy of typescript. Gives following details of 1711 officers of the Indian Police (of rank of Assistant Superintendent and above): Surname and initials of first names. Honours and decorations held. Province(s) in which served. Years in which service began and ended.
- Typescript note by Mr La Bouchardière on ‘The Indian Police from 1861 to 1947’. The account is in five sections:
- A brief history, including recruitment and training of the service.
- A Chronology of the main police events between 1861 and 1947.
- Examples of the nature of the job:
- Collating criminal intelligence.
- Dealing with riots.
- Political intelligence work.
- Combating terrorism in Bengal in the 1930s.
- Political events:
- The Cripps Mission 1942.
- The British Cabinet Mission 1946.
- The Partition Plan 1947.
- For Gallantry.