Memoir, ‘The last of the Raj Memsahibs: memoirs 1929 to 1945’. An account of the childhood and married life of an army wife, mostly based in Punjab and NWFP. 1 file, 1914-1945.
Donated by Mrs Gradidge.
Small Collections Box 12
- Memoir: The last of the Raj Memsahibs by Lorraine Gradidge. Memoirs 1929 to 1945′.
- Detailed account of life as an army wife in Punjab and North West Frontier Province. Chapters as follows:
- Childhood in India, 1914-18
- Ch. 1: Arrival and first impressions
- Ch. 2: Kashmir and Gilgit
- Ch. 3: Life on the North West Frontier Province
- Ch. 4: Pathans
- Ch. 5: Indian servants
- Ch. 6: Snobbery and protocol
- Ch. 7: Sport
- Ch. 8: Lands of the Maharajahs
- Ch. 9: War
- Ch. 10: Grass widow
- Ch. 11: Dehra Dun, UP Congress Party Headquarters
- Ch. 12: W.V.S. canteens in the 14th Army area