Captain. Henry Gore Lindsay
Small Collections Box 12
Given by Mrs. Thomas
Typescript copies of letters from Captain Gore Lindsay, 3rd Battalion Bath Rifle Brigade, to home. (The letters in the whole collection start in Africa and cover the Crimea, and the 1857 uprising. Only the Indian letters are held in this collection.):
- Futehpoor, 10 January 1858.
- Allahabad, 2 January 1859.
- Camp Nawalgangee, 28 February 1858.
- Before Lucknow, 12 March 1858: description of the attack on the city and taking the suburbs.
- Lucknow, 15 March 1858: in the city after it was taken.
- Camp Lucknow, 26 March 1858.
- Winchester, 24 July 1858: to Major General Sir Charles Yorke, Military Secretary, Horse Guards, asking why two other officers were made Brevet Major over his head.