E.H.S. Clarke, C.I.E.
Edward Henry Scamander Clarke. Held various non-gazetted appointments in India from 1875; accompanied the Afghan Boundary Commission to the Herat frontier 1884-86 and was Assistant Political Secretary with the Kabul Mission of 1893; between 1894 and 1912 held various senior posts in the Foreign Department, Government of India.
Given by Brigadier F.S. Clarke
Four volumes (one bound, three unbound) of watercolour paintings dated 1885 and 1886 done on thick card 17″ x 12″ by unknown artist, collected during Herat Boundary Commission.
- Unbound volume of 48 plates depicting ornaments and jewelry and scenes of Uzbeqs, Sarik Turcomans etc.:
- Ornaments and jewelry of Sarik Turcomans, numbers 25, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36, 40, 48.
- Uzbeq ornaments, numbers 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65.
- Herat ornaments, numbers 77, 79.
- Sarik Turcoman artefacts and jewelry (including horse equipment ornament), numbers 112, 115, 116, 117, 118, 120, 121, 122.
- Bamiran caves – copies from frescoes etc., numbers 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, bracelet 149.
- 14 Watercolour and monochrome sketches forts, landscapes, Seistan, Oxus etc., unnumbered.
- Bound volume of 54 plates mainly depicting the costume of tribes such as: Baloochs, Uzbeqs, Sarik Turcomans, Firozkohis of Chakcharan, Tajiks of Haibuk, Herat, Tatars, Hazara, Balkhis, Bagdadis, Persian muleteers and Cossacks.
- Bound volume of 29 plates mainly depicting the costumes of: Afghans, Turkestan cavalry, Cossacks, Uzbeqs, various Turcomans, Bokharans, Tajiks, Bozhara, Women’s costume Turcomans.
- Bound volume of 39 plates, mainly depicting houses, huts, tents, details of clothing, weapons and tools in the area covered by the other three volumes.
- Map of Afghanistan, June 1901, based on Survey of India sheets (Scale 1 inch = 16 miles). 2 sheets.
- Map of Afghanistan, October 1905. British War Office (Scale 1 inch = 32 miles). 1 sheet.
- Map of Afghanistan, December 1889. Survey of India. (Scale 1 inch = 24 miles). 1 sheet.
- Map of Persia, 1910. Survey of India. (Scale 1 inch = 40 miles). 1 sheet.
- Papers, printed memoranda and despatches, etc., relating to Afghanistan, in particular the Durand Mission and Agreement of 1893. 1879-1896.
- Papers relating to Afghanistan affairs, the Delhi Durbar of 1911 and the decision to transfer the imperial capital from Calcutta to Delhi 1901-1911.
- Miscellaneous items and ephemera 1892-1912.